Can I Ship Perfume Internationally?
Let's agree on one thing: perfumes, with their intoxicating scents and beautiful bottles, make an ideal gift or product.
But, when it comes to shipping them internationally, things can get a bit tricky.
If you've ever asked: “Can I ship perfume internationally?” The answer is yes, you can, but the process isn't as straightforward as one might wish due to the nature of these items.
If you're considering sending perfume overseas, don't fret.
By the end of this blog post, you will understand the key steps involved in this process, and how we at JustShip can help you simplify it.
Let's jump right in.
Why are Perfumes Sometimes Classified as Hazardous?
Believe it or not, perfumes, despite their charm, can sometimes be classified as hazardous.
This might have you scratching your head, asking, "Why is that?"
Well, the answer is simple:
Many perfumes contain alcohol, a flammable substance. This makes them fall under the Dangerous Goods (DG) category, changing how they must be shipped.
Adding another layer of complexity, the rules for international shipping aren't uniform - they differ from country to country.
For instance, some countries like China have strict regulations on importing perfumes, especially those classified as DG items.
Before shipping, it's crucial to familiarise yourself with the specific rules of the destination country to prevent unexpected issues during customs clearance and avoid unnecessary expenses.
How to Start Shipping Perfumes Internationally: The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Image source: wikipedia
The first major step towards shipping perfume internationally is obtaining the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer.
Why is the MSDS so crucial?
This document provides comprehensive information about the perfume, including its properties, potential hazards, and safe handling instructions.
It plays a critical role in classifying your perfume for shipping purposes and helps authorities understand the nature of the product they're handling.
Moreover, it's necessary to meet the shipping regulations and standards of many countries.
By obtaining the MSDS, you ensure the correct handling and shipping of your perfume, which in turn, promotes safety and compliance throughout the transportation process.
Shipping Perfumes as Dangerous Goods (DG)
Once we've received your MSDS, we'll check if your perfume is classified as a DG. If it is, there will be two significant implications:
- Additional charges: Expect at least an extra $331.50 for DG-specific paperwork, handling, and labelling.
- Extended processing time: The overall time required to process your shipment could extend to about a week due to the additional verification and safety precautions necessary for DG items.
At this point, you might be wondering whether shipping your perfume is worth the effort.
While it might not be economical for a single bottle, if you're shipping multiple bottles, you could make the most out of the DG surcharge.
But there's more to it.
Once we determine if your perfume falls under the DG classification, we handle the proper labelling and documentation for your package. This involves preparing the following:
- Dangerous Goods Labels: Labels placed on packages to indicate hazardous materials and provide handling information.
- Dangerous Goods Declaration Form: Document declaring details of the hazardous materials being shipped.
- Airway Bill: Transportation document for air shipments, containing shipment and tracking details.
- Commercial Invoice: Outlines your transaction, helping customs determine any duties or taxes. Includes details about the goods, their value, and the involved parties.
With JustShip, rest assured that all labelling and documentation requirements for shipping your perfume will be professionally and correctly handled, saving you from potential hassles, errors or rejection.
For more information, check out our blog post on “Shipping Dangerous Goods”.
Packaging Requirements for Shipping Perfume
Ensuring that your perfume reaches its destination safely is our top priority at JustShip.
If you opt for our packing services, you can rest assured your item is in good hands.
Perfumes typically come in glass bottles that are prone to breakage, hence fragile packing is needed.
Here's how our packing team takes care of your perfume:
- Each perfume bottle is carefully wrapped with bubble wrap.
- A sturdy cardboard box is used for outer packaging.
- Any empty spaces within the box are filled with packing peanuts or similar material to secure the perfume in place.
- The package is sealed securely using the H-taping method.
- A "Fragile" label is prominently placed on your package, alerting handlers to take extra care during transit.
With these stringent steps, our professional team ensures your perfume reaches its destination safely and in perfect condition.
Trust in JustShip to handle your perfume shipment with the utmost care and expertise.
So, is shipping perfume internationally possible? Absolutely!
While it might seem challenging due to the DG classification and specific requirements, we hope this post has provided a clearer understanding of the process.
Remember, when you ship with JustShip, we are here to guide you through each step, simplifying what could otherwise be a complex process.
If you have any queries or need assistance in shipping perfumes overseas, don't hesitate to get in touch with us. We're always ready to help!